Tuesday 1 February 2011

Should there be a War of Petitions?

Today the Dorset Echo reported that a petition of 13,000 signatures had been handed in to County Hall to protest at the poposal to cut funding for the majority of smaller Dorset libraries. I signed my local petition to save Wyke library. But, I would say to anyone considering matching petition totals as a way of judging who is most deserving of 'saving' - had I been allowed to place my petition in the libraries, I consider that most people signing the library petition would also have signed mine. However, I was not allowed to put a petition contesting a DCC cut in a DCC funded library! I know we are fighting for the same funding, but closing a library will not cause a death. Removing Lollipop People will, it's just a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment